Tuesday 25 March 2014

Exploring the Otaku Centre in Akihabara | Japan Travels

Multi-levelled buildings of anime and electronics in Akihabara

Akihabara is a popular neighbourhood in Tokyo for gamers, hi-tech gadget fanatics and the otaku. The word ‘otaku’ describes an extremely introverted person who prefers geeking out at home in his/her anime fandom or gaming consoles. While Akihabara depicts a bustling city of rich modern Japanese culture, travellers must also learn to become wary. I know this because I did something incredibly embarrassing... eek!

I wouldn’t say I’m a huge fan of anime but I am a fan nevertheless. I find it fascinating how it has become a unique part of the Japanese culture in the last decade or so. I do remember it being popular at my school at some point though. When I didn’t have practices, my friends and I would go over to each other’s place and watch anime on TV. Yeah that’s right, I didn’t muck around after school like some kids. I came straight home because Gotenks was going to kick Buu’s ass, but he was too weak so he became a super saiyan fusion…  

JR Akihabara Station

So anyway, in the afternoon we took the JR Yamanote Line (which circuits around central Tokyo) to Akihabara Station.This line tends to stop near significant tourist spots which actually makes getting around Tokyo more convenient for travellers. You can find the Yamanote Line by following the lime green signs at any train station.

AKB48 Café




The first thing we noticed as we exited Akihabara Station was a crowd of people standing outside a building (picture above was taken on a different day). The building was the AKB48 Café which is actually the personal theatre of a J-pop idol group of the same name.

According to Wikipedia “The idea of AKB48's producer Yasushi Akimoto was to create a girl group that, unlike a regular pop group that gives occasional concerts and that is mostly seen on television, would have its own theatre and perform there on a daily basis; the fans would always be able to go and see the girls live.”

Interactive anime stall challenging and giving prizes away
The sunny weather would have been incredible if it weren't so humid that day. As we walked around we came under this arch that sent a cool misty spray to anyone passing beneath it. It was pretty much heaven. Reluctantly leaving, we continued on our way and spotted a few cosplay characters holding a small event. We stuck around for a while just watching them interact with the crowd; they played simple games like papers, scissors, rock, and guess which hand the thing is in. Eventually we got tired pretending we knew exactly what was going on, and moved on...

Taito Station; where multitudes of 100 Yen gaming machines are found
We journeyed in the neighbourhood entering huge department stores, admiring all the electronics and anime goods, and trying out some of their 100 Yen retro arcade games (they had heaps of places with these!) Bordering the sidewalks were plenty of shops and ‘maid cafes’ (cafes with waitresses dressed in French maid costumes). The sky line was strewn with tall buildings and billboards, and all around were interesting characters on the move. It was a bustling and energetic town which was everything I imagined Tokyo to be. But there was an ugly side to it too.

A lane of shops in Akihabara
When I went to Singapore for a holiday I was told that when someone out on the street is giving away flyers, I should just accept them out of courtesy because the sooner they finish distributing the sooner they get to go home. So when I came across people like these in Akihabara, distributing flyers and little booklets with absolutely zero success, I assumed the same concept as in Singapore. So, I felt bad and accepted one from a lady. I immediately noticed people looking at me but I didn’t take it to mean anything at first.

My friends decided to enter a souvenir store so I waited outside and read this little booklet. As soon as I opened it, one page after another was just ‘hentai’. Then I realised the reason why people were looking at me earlier was because accepting the booklet is the same as practically yelling out I was a pervert. Omg, and I read it in public too! Ugggh so embarrassing... *Gaijin moment*. I gave it back to another lady distributing the same booklet even though that didn't redeem me whatsoever.

Don't be that unsuspecting traveller and take note of my mistake. Akihabara is beautiful when blind to these circumstances, but be aware that as you walk down the streets you will have endless exposure to shops which readily sell sleaze. There are plenty of posters of young anime school girls, dressed in uniform, in the most provocative positions that seem to fascinate the uglier side of the otaku fandom. Although be open-minded and appreciate Akihabara for what good it is, because really, it is an incredible place!

Before we left Akihabara I couldn’t help but cop me some pretty cool Naruto figurines. My childhood crush on Kakashi will never die. How freaky am I?

Kakashi collectable figurine from Akihabara


No comments:

Post a Comment